john whites groupa zz/r#88

Share stories, info, images etc of anything to do with Gemini racing and rallying, past & present.

Feel free to add input if you can fill in more info about a particular car.

Re: john whites groupa zz/r#88

Postby GEMWRC » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:10 pm

it looks sweet on the V4s shame they have to be Gold ....... live on the Group A Gemini :D
Last edited by GEMWRC on Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
GEMWRC

No Spammers: Blue

Postby Mrjtgem » Fri May 06, 2011 1:39 pm

I have this Group A Gemini on DVD with the Daryl Hendrick Gemini in the 1986-87 and 88 Australian Touring Car Championship races if any one would like a copy. :o
cheers Rick
Mrjtgem

No Spammers: Red

Postby Coxy » Mon May 09, 2011 9:23 pm

I'd love a copy Rick but the $$$ was a bit much sorry! Maybe once i've worked out what race i'll be restoring the car to i'll grab a copy of the relevant one..
Coxy

Postby Mrjtgem » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:45 pm

Ok coxy let me know mate and i will look after u.
Rick 0407956500 :(
Mrjtgem

Postby Coxy » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:40 am

photo spam time!!

my fingers are tired, more later...
Coxy

Postby Coxy » Tue May 06, 2014 11:42 pm

Soooooo it's been a while since i've updated this! Work turned to shit a while back and sucked all my money away, on the plus side I still have a business! I have mainly been acquiring parts for this car since the last update, the panelbeater I had lined up decided to sell his business so need to use another one (I have one in mind).

So yes I have scored these parts recently:

ZZR disc brake LSD diff complete from discs to handbrake cables to torque tube etc and a spare pair of discs

Ex HDT ZZR prototype spare G180W complete with dissy, efi manifold (hallelujah) intake piping, air flow meter and air box etc, plus another near complete long motor that has been machined.

Another set of Simmons V4 15x7 rims

Diesel torque tube assembly so I can make my car original again in that respect

Diesel crossmember as my original one is fubar

Currently paying off another dohc 5 speed and remote shifter!

So basically what that means is that I have pretty much all the original spec parts bar the front brakes, of which I am trying to find out what exactly it ran. I was lucky enough to have John White ring me the other day when he was in the company of Geoff Conway who was his mechanic at the time, Geoff was employed by John to build the car for him after it was bought from Patterson Cheney.

Interesting thing about that ex HDT engine I am getting shipped up from Melbourne, is that my car was actually built up from the new car and the HDT twin cam yellow TE gemini that Brocks built up to assess the possibility of building HDT Geminis. The engine i'm getting was the spare engine from that car! The engine from the yellow prototype was built up into the first race motor which was blown up at sandown in early 86 I think. The running gear from the ex HDT group C sedan that John ran until group C was finished, was sold to a guy I know from Tassie. So that engine does have a tenuous link to my car...

Someone has rumoured the HDT prototype road car is alive and well somewhere in Vic but with the stock sohc running gear..

The current plan is to mock the car up as complete as I can for some pics which I will send off to CAMS with my application for an "Approval in Principle" for a CAMS "Certificate of Description". The CofD is what the CAMS historic department gives you when you restore a proven original old group C or A car and allows you to enter Heritage Touring Cars events! I've been waiting for the intake bits and remote shifter for the approval in principle application so the ball shall be rolling soon......
Coxy

Postby FormerCDT015 » Wed May 07, 2014 3:35 pm

Thanks for the update Dave, I thought the car had stalled like so many others.
FormerCDT015

Postby Coxy » Sun May 11, 2014 1:02 am

Yes I would have had the bodywork done by now money permitting but i'm kind of glad I didnt as it really needs to be put on a rotisserie and gone over with a fine tooth comb (and sand blaster)
Coxy

Postby Coxy » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:42 am

Update on the second slowest race car restoration in the land! Got another ZZR box and shifter, and another near complete ZZ G180W with intake and exhaust manifolds :) I now have 3.5 G180W's so that should do me for spares.

Cams eligibility officer has looked at the car and it is satisfied it is the real deal, just gotta send off a form and some $$ to cams to get the approval in principle. It's looking like the car will be getting the bodywork done late this year, then game on with the reassembly. Heritage Touring Cars U2L class guys are at me to finish it so we have at least 3 cars racing in the class regularly!
Coxy

Postby cdtpf60 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:59 pm

OI!!!!!....yep i deserved that :oops: :oops: :oops: .......glad to see your moving forward cant wait to see her finished
cdtpf60

Previous

Return to Gemini racing - Where possible include some info.