S3 Turbo Commodore

Chat about CDT Commodore

S3 Turbo Commodore

Postby Andy » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:05 pm

My father bought his S3 Turbo Commodore back in 1983 and the list price was $18k. An SL commodore at the time was $9k and the 5.0l SLE was $12k. The Group 3 SS was about $21k to put in perspective.

His was build number 12. I was only 4 at the time but I still remember picking the car up from the local dealer.

These were released with 200HP running 9psi of boost. We still have the original paper work but sadly the sicker on the glove box is long gone. I remember ‘picking’ at it many years ago and I now feel terrible for doing so.

We still have the #12 on the CDT horn button.

There were released with 14x7 Bathurst Globe wheels in gold. We removed these wheels back in 1995 and fitted up some 15x7 inch rims to accommodate a larger front and rear disk break set up. Being a 2.85 l, these were typically released with drum rear brakes and a 3.66:1 final drive making first gear on the T5 far too short. We ended up changing the diff to a 3.08:1 ratio making the first two gears more useable.

Eventually the T5 box final gave up the ghost and new parts were no longer available so we installed a Supra R154 Turbo box. The gear ratios didn’t suit the 3.08:1 diff so we changed the diff back to the 3.66:1.

Early last year we were in a car accident and were very lucky to walk away. We were on the highway and were hit by an oncoming car doing 100km/h. Luckily for us, impact was on the front right guard so it was only a side swipe and not a head on. Insurance assessed the damaged and authorised the $6k of repairs. We managed to source all the parts and I am just waiting to restore the old girl. We ended up ordering a new set of HDT flares as the CDT flares no longer exist. After close inspection, they are practically identical (no wonder Brocky tried to sue James).

I even managed to source a set of 15x7 Bathurst Globe rims which have been polished and will be painted gold. I am currently am finishing off my house renovations, Supra 6 speed twin turbo project and I just purchased another VH commodore (from another first owner) to use as future donor car. So the restoration will happen - not just yet.

Enough of my ramblings, attached are pictures of the car over the years. We are no longer running the carburettor setup as we went for a more reliable throttle body injection setup. Running 12psi it produced a healthy 115-120rwkW. Not bad considering the original motor only produced 75kW at the flywheel. We have an old dyno sheert from years back and the car was making about 138rwkW (not too long after a full rebuild with 60thou oversized pistons – another story for another time).

Newly Delivered Car -1983 (I was a cute kid - not sure what happened now...)

Coloured coded SS front grill and nice mud flaps (NOT) - 1986

After engine rebuild and upgrade Carbi with water meth injection running 15psi

Cool old skool tyres

Original rear boot stickers - 1987

SLE tailights and clear front indicators - photo taken around 2008. Rear boot decals were repalced after car was resprayed in 1989

Post accident 2009

Replacement 15x7 Bathurst Globe Rims to be painted gold
Andy

No Spammers: Red

Re: S3 Turbo Commodore

Postby FormerCDT015 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:10 am

Very nice there Andy.
Great little story and its nice to hear the car is still in the family after all these years.

But I have to say this, get rid of all the "enhancements" and take it back to original, or before too long nobody will know what was original.
Just my thoughts.

Oh yea, if you need a new glove box sticker talk to Murray (CDT083) he may be able to help.
FormerCDT015

Postby nme » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:43 pm

Hey Andy. Nice car! Good to see another CDT commodore out there. Red looks great doesnt it? Looks like my very first car when i was 18, a hot red HDT VH.Got scrapped but i still have the full original kit. Hope to see this beauty restored eventually, and maybe see it some time as i need to get more details on the engine etc, i just want to see another cdt commo the flesh. Great to see you on the site and giving info and photos. Good luck with the resto.
nme

Postby CDT083 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:14 pm

I want one 8-)

Hey I'll swap ya my S2 for it :o

I hope it keeps on going great ride

Muz
Muzz/zareli
CDT Historian
CDT083

Postby Nimbus » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:22 am

Awsome! :D
Nimbus

Postby FormerCDT015 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:33 pm

CDT083 wrote:I want one 8-)

I cant believe you said that :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
FormerCDT015

Postby CDT083 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:15 am

CDT015 wrote:

I cant believe you said that :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Nor can I Andy :roll:
It seems theres more CDT Commodores alive than CDT Geminis - so the Gems be harder to getz by the looks of it :cry: .

Murray
Muzz/zareli
CDT Historian
CDT083

Postby Andy » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:42 pm

CDT015 wrote:Very nice there Andy.
Great little story and its nice to hear the car is still in the family after all these years.

But I have to say this, get rid of all the "enhancements" and take it back to original, or before too long nobody will know what was original.
Just my thoughts.

Oh yea, if you need a new glove box sticker talk to Murray (CDT083) he may be able to help.

Cheers. I will send Murray a PM.

Most of the enhancements we have made can easily be returned to original as we still have all the parts. We are major hoarders. You shoudl see all the Supra parts I have collected over the years...

The original carbi setup with mechanical fuel pump was too unreliable. We upgraded the mechanical fuel pump to a twin Holley electric fuel pump setup (Red - 7psi primary and Blue - 14psi secondary) and still that wasn’t 100%. Car wouldn’t idle too well on a very hot day with the A/C on and we could not guarantee the fuel mixtures. We had an engine failure in 1985 due to cylinder #6 running out of fuel at around 190km/hr. My dad said he noticed the engine ‘coughing’ but didn’t back off the throttle. Driveability of the car in the past 13 or so years with throttle body injection was a major improvement. We still have the original carbi setup so we can return to stock if need be.

nme wrote:Hey Andy. Nice car! Good to see another CDT commodore out there. Red looks great doesnt it? Looks like my very first car when i was 18, a hot red HDT VH.Got scrapped but i still have the full original kit. Hope to see this beauty restored eventually, and maybe see it some time as i need to get more details on the engine etc, i just want to see another cdt commo the flesh. Great to see you on the site and giving info and photos. Good luck with the resto.

Yes red mean it goes faster doesn’t it? No worries re the engine setup. Happy to help out.

The HDT flares aren’t an exact fit as the fixing holes are different. We welded up the original holes and drilled new holes for the HDT flares. Also we plan to modify the front spoiler so it matches up to the HDT flare guards.

I hope it keeps on going great ride

Muz

Hey Muz, I will pass on the swap this time :D
Andy

Postby cdtpf60 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:38 pm

nice to see there's another out there as well,so we"re up to three commodores now,still no falcons or camiras :shock:
sweet ride btw and welcome aboard
cdtpf60

Postby Nimbus » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:58 pm

There is a Falcon now Paul. Check the Falcon area? ;)
Nimbus

Next

Return to CDT Commodore